As the year comes to a close I have decided to do a run down of some of my years favourites. This post will be dedicated to Beauty meaning makeup and skin care, and I think it is amazing that all of these products were not a part of my regular routine this time last year. I get to try out a lot of amazing products and I spend a very large portion of my income on beauty so there can be more misses than hits, but this post is dedicated to the HITS only! Some products that I have raved about in the past have not made it into this post and that is not because I have changed my opinion on those products, it just means I don’t love them as much as I adore these products below.
Without further ado, lets run through the rather long list of beauty finds from 2016 that I adore!
- Urban Decay Ultimate Basics Naked Palette (€50): This was one of the biggest makeup launches of 2016 and I was very lucky to receive this as a gift from Urban Decay. Since I got my hands on this palette I have not needed to reach for any other palette. I even created a full skull look for Halloween using these shadows. Although I do use every single shade, my most used colours have to be Pre Game, Extra Bitter, Faith, Lockout and Tempted for warm smokey looks. Shop this gorgeous palette here.
- Artis 6 Oval Makeup Brush (€60): I don’t usually buy luxury brushes but I was thrilled to get this brush for my birthday from my best friend Greta. Both her and my friend Naomi had the brush and RAVED about it, along with so many beauty bloggers and youtubers. I had tried out a cheap and cheerful oval brush and didn’t love it, but this version is so densely packed with bristles that I knew it would give a better finish. I use it for foundation but it can be used for contouring, eye base, blush and more. For me this is the quickest way for me to apply foundation and the result is always beautifully blended and buffed skin. Shop here.
- Charlotte Tilburry Bronze & Glow palette (€65): Santa brought me this gorgeous little palette last year and it is still pretty much full even though I use it all the time. The cool bronzer is the perfect shade for me to contour and the highlight is a gorgeous subtle glow that really picks up the light. What I love the most about these products is how beautifully they blend. The powders are so fine that they go on the skin so smoothly and always look beautiful. Again this is a luxury purchase, but it has lasted me over a year and I would say it will be Christmas 2017 before I need to replace it! Shop here.
- The Body Shop Himalayan Charcoal Mask (€25): I have only been using this mask since September and it has knocked all my other masks away. I have combination skin and tend to get hormonal breakouts and clogged pores and this mask is amazing at treating these problems and clearing my skin. I immediately felt that this mask was a dupe for Glamglow as it looks and feels very similar and the offers glowing results. Glamglow is usually around the €60 point so this offering from The Body Shop is an amazing replacement. See my full review here. Shop here.
- Benefit Precisely, My Brow Pencil (€26): I have only been using this product for about a week and I am already hooked. I have naturally thin and sparse brows so I have been using Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz for a couple of years now but when I ran out at the start of the month I thought I would look around for a new replacement. This pencil is very fine, has great pigments and applies really smoothly, so I have full control of how I shape and fill in my brows. I also appreciate the spooly at the other end for helping shape my brows. I use shade 4 and picked it up in Debenhams. Shop here.
- The Balm Mary-Lou Manizer (€21.50): One of my all time favourite youtubers said if you want to have your highlight seen from space, than you should use the Mary-Lou Manizer. This is a really gorgeous golden highlight that adds definition and a beautifully eye catching glow to the skin. See my full review here. Shop here.
- Becca x Jaclyn Hill Champagne Pop (€40): I cannot mention a highlight without talking about the champagne pop powder from Becca. This is the most extreme highlight I own, and 2016 was really all about highlight. This powder is so striking on the skin and the powder blends in like butter. Shop here.
- Marc Jacobs Re(marc)able Full Coverage Foundation Concentrate (€50): I picked up this foundation in NYC earlier in the year and I don’t know what I am going to do when it runs out!! I love a full coverage look for a night out and this foundation offers that while feeling so light on the skin, it is actually amazing. You could actually get away without any concealer when using this foundation and it lasts so long because a couple of small dots will cover your entire face. See my full review here. Shop here.
- Maybelline Fit Me Matte & Poreless Foundation: While speaking of foundations I had to mention my day-to-day foundation that I love. I have been using the Fit Me for a couple of years now but when in NYC I found a matte & poreless version in the drugstore. I have combination skin and tend to get shiny around my chin and nose so I love matte foundations. Later in the year this version did become available in Ireland AND it came in better packaging than what our American neighbours are using. See my full review here. Shop here.
- Nip & Fab Glycolic Pads (€18-€21): I use both the classic and the extreme glycollic pads from Nip & Fab and they have really changed the texture of my skin. These are exfoliation pads that help decongest pores and help with oily skin. In general I will use the classic pads almost daily and the extreme pads once or twice a week at night. I really notice a big difference in my skin when I stop using these pads, and have even started introducing the serum a couple of nights a week. See full review here. Shop here. (Keep an eye out for Boots half price or 3 for 2 promotions)
- The Body Shop Oils of Life Collection (€25.50- €48): It might seem like using oil on oily skin is a breakout waiting to happen, but I really adore this collection. Many people have said that when you apply an oil to oily skin it tells your skin to stop producing oil, as it has enough. I like this theory so I decided to apply these oil based products a couple of times a week to see how my skin reacted. This collection is so nourishing that I am not sure if my face has ever been so soft. To be honest I have had a couple of breakouts around my chin but I cannot say for sure that it was brought on by the oil as my diet has been terrible lately and I have had more nights out and drinks since the festive season kicked off. If I were to tell you to buy one thing from this collection it would have to be the face massagers. No matter what products I am using I give my face a massage every night which is said to increase circulation, improve skin tone, increase elasticity and reduce wrinkle. Shop here.
- Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray (€30): When has this been all my life. I tried this out for the first time in February and it is pretty much super glue for your makeup. My makeup does not move at all once I have set it with this amazing spray, and it is amazing value as it has lasted me almost a year! If you have gone to the effort of beating your face with all these products, than you need to keep it all in place with this spray. Shop here.Although I did love plenty of other products this year, these have become my ride or die/ desert island essentials.
If you have any questions about products mentioned, or products that didn’t make the cut, please let me know in the comments below.
This will be my last post before the 25th so I would like to wish you a very merry Christmas.