My first big trip of 2016 is a long weekend in NYC! I cannot tell you how excited I am, firstly I LOVE NEW YORK (who doesn’t) and I am particularly excited about visiting in February as I have never been there in Winter before. I am so excited to go ice skating, and it might even snow while I am there!
I love to travel but airports really stress me out. I am not afraid of flying, but it is not my favourite activity. Sitting in one spot for hours on end, the amount of security checks that you need to pass through, how expensive everything is, the lines… my list of flying peeves is endless, so I try to stay as organised as possible to each trip, in an attempt to avoid issues and problems.
- Travel Wallet: The most important item for any trip is the travel wallet. My passport, flight confirmation, hotel booking and visa (ESTA for the USA) for the trip. A travel wallet makes everything a lot easier, rather than reaching into your bag and searching for several loose items, all of my essentials are in one place. Shop this travel wallet here.
- Makeup bag: I love my beauty products and make sure that everything I pack that is liquid is less than 100ml (hand luggage maximum). All liquid items are packed in a clear sandwich bag for security check, and my big makeup bag carries all powders, palettes and brushes. Shop this makeup bag here.
- Phone Charger: I am addicted to my phone and always have music and movies loaded on my phone for any flight. I cannot go anywhere without my portable charger, I use my phone so often that on a regular day I usually only get a couple of hours use from it anyway, so a long day of travelling requires a battery backup. Usually the flight is only one part of travelling and you can be in the airport for hours and spend a decent amount of time on busses or in taxis. Shop here.
- Sheet mask: Airplanes are disastrous for my skin, I get dehydrated from the air conditioning, so I love carrying a sheet mask for a flight. It may look crazy, but if you pop one on for 15 minutes during the flight, your skin will thank you for it. If you don’t want to wear one in flight than I would suggest packing one in your luggage and using it when you arrive at your destination. Shop here.
- A big bag: With everything I am dragging around, I need a big bag. I am too high maintenance to show up at the airport with my passport and wallet, so a nice big shopper comes in handy. When choosing a travel bag, I always look for inside zip pockets to keep my wallet and travel documents safe. You always hear of pickpockets when travelling and I have experienced losing a passport in an airport before, and it is a NIGHTMARE! I don’t think it was stolen, as far as I am aware it simply fell out when I was rummaging around my bag. Shop bag here.
- Sleep mask: Most airlines provide an eye mask when flying at night, but I like to carry one for all flights longer than 4 hours, to try to get a little nap in. This will also come in handy if you’re facing a long delay at the airport. Shop sleep mask here.
- Earphones: As I mentioned, I am rely on my phone when travelling for music and entertainment. A good and comfortable pair of earphones are a necessity for the entire travelling process. Shop here.
- Wet wipe: Remove makeup, wipe your hands clean, even have a festival shower if necessary. Wet makeup wipes are so helpful and handy when flying, and can really help you feel refreshed when you need it most. I have sat on the runway on a delayed flight for hours and it is crazy how sweaty and grimey you feel when stuck on a plane without air conditioning (they couldn’t turn it on until we were moving so that fuel wasn’t wasted). Shop here.
- Notebook: When flying to my destination I love to write down my plans and make notes. I will make a rough plan for each day I am there, I might plan my outfits and make a shopping list too. Shop here.
There are a few other items that I like to keep handy when I have room in my bag:
- Hair brush and hair ties
- Spare clear bag for airport security
- Lip balm
- A good book (this I usually pick up at the airport)
- A large scarf that doubles as a throw/ blanket
- Any medication you may need
I am so excited about my trip to NYC and I’m counting down the days. If you have any advice for travelling or visiting New York, I would love to hear in the comments below.
Until next time,