I am currently in Spain, Puerto Rico to be precise and I had just over 4 hours on the plane to get here. Certainly not the worst flight of my life, but flying in general stresses me out and I always feel like I have forgotten something, or think I will lose something!
To prevent myself from stressing too much in future, I have put together a handy little checklist of items to carry in my hand luggage for the future.
- Passport– OBVIOUSLY! I always like to check that I have an inside pocket in my bag which zips closed and that is where I will keep my passport safe and sound. I once lost my passport in an airport in the bathroom. Luckily I had just landed and was not flying for a few days, but I know it fell out of my bag as I rustled around inside looking for various items. My passport now stays wrapped up in a leopard cover, so it is easy to spot in my bag while I constantly check that it is still there.
Shop pink passport cover here.
- Moisturiser- We all know that the air conditioning on planes are really drying on our skin. I like to carry a multi purpose moisturiser like Balm Balm which I can use on my skin and lips. Make sure the size is 100ml or below for hand luggage!
Shop Balm Balm here.
- Eye mask– So a four hour flight may not require sleep, but I find sleeping on planes nearly impossible. I like to keep an eyemask with me just incase I do want a nap, or just to shut out my surroundings and relax.
Shop the Wildfox eye mask here.
- Magazine & Book- I love to have a good book to read, and I like to take a break and flick through a glossy magazine every so often.
Check out what books are on the Irish best selling charts here.
- Battery pack – A battery pack to charge up electrics is an essential when travelling for me. I believe that in the U.S. security can confiscate phones or electronics which will not turn on as they deem them to be a threat. I found mine on eBay and it has come in handy so many times now, when travelling, at festivals or even working out of the office.
Shop this pink phone charger here.
- Makeup bag – Personally I do not like to travel with my makeup in my suitcase. I worry things may get smashed and damaged in transport, so I always keep it in my carry on. I make sure that I have plenty of small plastic bags to keep all liquids in when passing through security and none of my products are over 30ml.
Shop Michael Kors makeup bag here.
- Tissues- it is typical that I also need tissues when I am strapped in place for hours on end. Whether I spill something on myself, get a sneezing attack or whatever reason, I always keep a pack handy on a flight. I usually pick up the travel size packs in Dealz for €1.49.
- Travel pillow– When flying economy, anything that can help with comfort is always welcome.
Shop travel pillow here.
- Throw/ Scarf– I hate being cold, so I like to keep an oversized scarf or throw in my bag which can double as a blanket just incase the flight is chilly.
Shop blanket scarf here.
- Sweets- I hate when my ears wont pop, so I like to keep hard sweets in my bag to help my ears during take off and landing. It is pretty old school, but it works for me. I usually pick these up in the shop at the airport.
- Pen and notebook– You never know when inspiration might strike, so keep a pen and notebook handy. Whether you need to write out a to-do list, or you want to keep yourself entertained with word games, it is always handy to keep a pen and notebook handy. I personally like to write out a plan of where I want to go and what I want to see throughout my trip.
Shop Ted Baker notebook and pen here.
- Makeup wipes– Planes can leave you feeling grimy and icky. Although you may not be able to take a shower, you can freshen up with makeup wipes during the flight.
Shop Yes to Grapefruit wipes here.
- Painkillers I like to keep a couple of painkillers with me just incase a headache or something else kicks in while stuck on the plane. Last year our flight was delayed by 2 hours and I would have done anything for a Panadol as my head was killing me. Better to be prepared than feeling unwell.
- Earphones & music- I like to update my iTunes with new Summery music before travel to keep me excited throughout all of my journey.
Shop Frends earphones here.
- One last ‘DUH’ item for the list: travel tickets and itinerary!
If you are getting away this Summer I wish you happy and safe travels! Thanks for checking out my latest post.